Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Kid M.a.r.l.e.y, Bob Marley's lost son, goes to school





By Eromo Egbejule


As the legend goes, the late reggae superstar, Robert Nesta Marley, -or simply Bob Marley for the rest of you who didn't bother to find out- was a man who liked women. And in his many tours across the globe, he, well, he distributed his seed among many of the favoured ladies he came across. Spyjournalist Eromo Egbejule heard about a Kid Marley in Lagos, Nigeria and decided to go do some investigative journalism and find out if truly the young rapper/musician/poet is one of the lost sons of the reggae master.

Here's what he discovered!



Q: What more is there to Kid Marley than your 6ft 3" frame?


A funny,social sometimes shy guy who just likes to have fun,meet new people and make good music.




Q: So, how was growing up like for you? And how did the alias come about? You some distant relative or one of the many allegedly scattered children sired by the great Bob Marley?




Hahahaha! I wish! I grew up in a middle class family in the suburbs of Lagos in a very religious home and no, I'm not related to the great Bob Marley even though I respect and love his music. M.a.r.l.e.y is an acronym,hence the dots. I was born as Samuel Chuibuisi Obi.

Q: So, what's M.A.R.L.E.Y, buddie?
Musically Aligning Ryhthm and Lyrics to Encourage the Youths. I try to embody a message in my songs.



Q: Whoa! Cool. You're a rapper/songwriter/singer/poet, right? Why not dancehall or something else?



Because I feel very expressive rapping,singing or writing poetry! Each form of musical artistry means something different to me,ability to experience music from different angles! Not everyone enjoys that privilege.




Q: So, the rap influences? Who were they? And who're your mentors?
Influences?


Hmmmn, I'd say 2pac and B.I.G. Definitely, Kanye West, Eminem, Slick Rick, Immortal Technique, Rakim! They are countless and my mentor is 2pac for the amount of consciousness he brought into HipHop at a time when everyone was talking jewellery and sex.

Q: My opinion is that Marshall Mathers is the God's own cheat to the game of rap. Who is the best rapper dead or alive in your own opinion? Is it Em for you too?

That is always going to be the most controversial question in Hip-hop cos every great rapper has got distinct qualities like Marshall has got his delivery as his number 1 skill too, Biggie had his punchlines and Pac had his story telling. In my opinion I'd say Pac though!



Q: Well, we could always argue on that some other time. Apart from music, what are you into presently? What else do you do? What hustle?
I'm working on a couple of projects that will be unveiled in due time.




Q: School?



Im in my third year right now, studying Microbiology at the University of Nigeria and should be done in a year by God's Grace. After that, there are greater things to be achieved.




Q: Ok, who produces your songs? Will you relocate to Lagos after graduating or will you try to wrestle with the likes of Flavour and Mister Raw to be King of the East?

I use the wide range of producers available to me; my good friends Bobby Combs, Eclipse and Fabby Beats but I'm looking forward to working with a vast range of well established producers soon because everyone brings a different flavour to the table! And I'm definitely relocating to Lagos where I reside with my family.

Q: You are part of the Saint Oz Gang, right? What's the crew about?

Its a group of six rappers. There's Barzini, Bobby Combs (extremely fabulous producer), Paybac, Random, Odes and myself. Bunch of real talented fellas, hustling to make rap better and get that cheddar.




Q: So, music aside, what's the craziest thing you've done? What extremes have you gone or been pushed to?
Errrrrm Hmmmm, I've done a lot and can hardly remember those things! I'm a fun person. I remember wearing pyjamas to class! That was in SS2 though.



Q: Hahaha! So how's your dress sense generally? You like to go hardcore with baggy jeans and oversized Mode 9 type-shirts or do you have a particular style?
No way! I'm slim so im more of a fitted shirt and slim fit -not skinny- Jeans, but basically its just whatever I feel comfortable in at that moment.




Q: Make a prediction. Five years from now, what image of yourself do you see?
A bunch of awards, at least 2 albums, a lotta mixtapes, a healthy account statement and an 80% exhausted passport. (Laughs).




Q: A healthy account statement? Cool. Surely, the girls will come running, aight? And what about your girlfriend now? How does she cope with your music and career?
Pretty cool considering she's non-existent. Lol,im single! Maybe searching so them ladies can holla at me! I won't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment