Saturday, February 6, 2010

GT tells ‘The Truth’


.
He came, he saw and he swayed the nation with his debut single, ‘dreamer’ which turned out to be a hit. With his beautiful voice, powerful instrumental skill and a desire to let out his frustrations, he swept the crowd off their feet- even radio stations couldn’t stop playing it. And just as everyone was warming up to his music, he disappears. But now he’s back and he’s come to tell us ‘The Truth’. Ada Igboanugo writes...
Tell us a bit about yourself, who is GT?
My names are Gbemiro Olaolu Akigbogun. GT is the artistic side of Gbemiro.GT is the one who writes the songs while Gbemiro is in school. Basically, I have like a multiple personality. I grew up with my mother so I had only her to convince about my music career. That aspect wasn't too difficult for me. My dad left when I was about 11. I have an elder sister and a younger brother. I grew up in the crazy FESTAC town and the experience didn't pass me by but I'm clean now compared to how I was before. I am from Ogun State. I was born in the U.K and bred in Lagos. I’m in LASU- 400 level.
Was it music initially or did you just dabble into it?
I wrote my first song at the age of nine so I'd say it was music initially. I remember when my dad would say, 'Olaolu you should be an Aeronautic Engineer' but I'm studying Economics which is not even related and right now my first love is music. I sang a few notes at leisure times and people who heard me said 'wow! You're good' and so I thought why not, let me try it.
When did you decide that it was music?
I don't really know when I decided to but I'm pretty sure it was one of those times when I was attempting Jamb. Though I had done a little bit of singing before- I was in my church choir- When I really decided was after my third attempt in Jamb. I just thought to concentrate on my music instead. But then overtime, I thought to myself. Both my siblings are in school and I'm not. What will I tell my kids? How would I encourage them to take their education seriously? With that I used all my hard-earned money to get myself in there.
Why Economics, why not something related to music?
Good question. I would have done that really. Economics is not something I'm enjoying. I wish I could drop out and do something else but it would be a terrible waste. But I think someday it would be useful.
Does music run in the family?
No. my father was probably the only one who was interested in music and he was just the regular music listener to songs like the likes of King Sunny Ade.
The song 'Dreamer', were you just testing the waters?
I wouldn't say I was testing the waters. What happened was that since I was born in the U.K I assumed I was a citizen. After I got fed up of attempting Jamb I decided to take a detour to greener pastures in the country where I was born and boasted so much about. I was shocked when I got to the embassy and I was denied visa simply because I was born in '84 instead of '83. I couldn’t believe it. All my dreams and aspirations had been built around that. That was the night I wrote dreamer. Out of the frustration of life the song came about.
Storm Records?
It was Valentine’s Day and I was posting bills for a show that was to take place and wishing at the same time that I could perform at the show. Fortunately for me the organiser of the show was a friend's uncle. I got the opportunity to talk to him; he heard me sing, liked it and automatically put me on the show. Just like that I turned from a hustler to a performer in the show. I did well at the show and so Omoba took my number and invited me for Night of a thousand laughs. I later met Dare Art-Alade through a friend. Dare heard me sing and he liked me instantly, he took me to Obi Asika who was hesitant at first but after been persuaded by Dare to hear me out, he did and liked me then welcomed me to Storm Records.
Your ability to play the guitar, did you learn it in a musical school or was it self-thought?
It was self thought. I was inspired by a guy I saw on the street playing the guitar.
Tell us about your album
It’s my debut album and I’m happy and proud to be finally presenting it to you guys. It’s a 14-track album with great songs. It has to be anyway, been producing it for four years. {Laughter}
Why ‘the truth’ for your debut album?
I chose to call it the truth because the album is like a voice. A voice for my people on the street, hustlers, etc issues in general. Something when listened to by someone would say, ‘this guy is talking to me’
Where do you draw your inspiration from?
It depends because it could come from anything. It could be while I’m driving, in the shower, etc anywhere.
How do you feel now that your album is out?
The day a friend called me and said she saw my album on the street, I got up, went outside and I ran. I didn’t know where I was running to but I kept running anyway. After four years, it is finally out. The feeling is unfathomable.

No comments:

Post a Comment