Monday, August 30, 2010

Tosyn Bucknor: the feisty woman


I am humming to the words of Tosyn Bucknor's song "first" as I write. Last night was the first time i listened to any of her songs by her alter ego CON.tra.diction (its video is out now). I am truly inspired by this woman, her zeal for life and how she has developed the different facets of her life and works to achieve her dreams.
Tosyn Abisona Bucknor, born 28 years ago in a taxi, a strange entrance for a truly amazing woman. She is (take a breadth) a lawyer, singer, writer, radio personality, CEO of s.h.a.r.e.s, a network that connects people, she is not afraid to afraid to speak for causes close to her heart she also runs a non profit organisation "These Genes"
Tosyn Bucknor is a great inspiration to youths of today with her positive lifestyle. One of her favourite quotes is "We only live once and if we live well once is enough" Ada Igboanugo and Amanda Etuk writes...


How did you start it all?

(This is pretty broad)


What was the initial response to your ideas and visions?

I think like everyone else, you get mixed reactions to same. Some people are immediately supportive, others initially supportive but don't go all the way, some try to dissuade you, others become converts




How do you merge all the areas of your life?

One of the ways is through these personas I have. It gives this detached feeling where as one persona I can do one thing and analyze things another persona does
Then I've learnt to schedule and prioritize
Not everything has to be done today!


With your experience now what would you have done differently ( in
reference to career choices and projects carried out)

I'd have started earlier, worried less and prayed more



What gives you the greatest satisfaction in life?

The period right after a prayer when you feel it’s ok. It’s hard to explain



Of all your many talents, what is your greatest passion?

Words
I say this because this is what links most of the things I do.


Advice for youths

There's a strength and energy young people have that must be used, but also wisely and it’s easy to feel you know it all but it’s like the Yorubas say, even if a child has the same number of clothes as an adult, he can’t have the same number of rags!



What are your plans for the nearest future?

Well I need to find some time to sleep. But that's not what you mean is it?

Music. Movies. Tv.




The metamorphosis of tosyn, how did tosin become tosyn?

How much time do you have?
'Oluwatosyn' is such a beautiful name that means God is worthy to be worshiped.
I changed one letter just so it could be MY name.



Shed some light on These Genes

These Genes is a not for profit sickle cell project that I started in response to a challenge given to us by LEAP Africa. Basically we were asked what we were passionate about, and told to start a change project in our community
I'm passionate about sickle cell and advocacy
The idea is to simply raise continued about sickle cell in a social setting, while also supporting other sickle cell projects
We do various things like media awareness projects (interviews, shows, etc), and shows, and have a documentary/short film in the pipeline



What's the response been so far?

The response has been great! Both in terms of people who have found an avenue to learn more about sickle cell and for those living with sickle cell as well



If given another chance in life, what would you do different?

I'm trying to do it now since hey! I'm still living life
Its to worry less sometimes you panic so much that you never live in the now. Plan for the future but remember the present needs you!

'If I live my life according to their pace, what's my prize in life’s meaningless. Race'

No comments:

Post a Comment