Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Life in the Jungle: #SERIES 2





I hope you remember what happened in the last series…. Yes, the thought of wanting to register for the show that would change my life or so I hoped anyway. Well, the next day I was up and about and ready to break boundaries at work. I was however faced with two decisions: when to register? And how do I tell my boss that I needed to be away from the office for three days to attend the screenings of the show after I register.





It was tough very tough, I knew my boss. She wouldn’t let me go. I didn’t know what to do. So after my daily uploads I logged out of company mail and ventured into the website with al boldness. And I saw the caption again “30 contenders”; I immediately asked myself “how on earth are you going to get in, much less winning this thing?” Little did I know what the concept was about. I was optimistic I had to be, I mean this show had humiliated me, taken 2 years of my life. Why not? So with all bravery I filled out the registration form, and just as I was about to finish, calls started coming in, Facebook wall messages tore in through my blackberry and I wondered what the problem was.

Checking the messages, I saw that it was friends I had acquired from participating on the screening processes the year before and last year all asking me if the registration was on and if they could go ahead and register. Indeed I had turned to the minister for information and dispensation of notices for the show. I felt embarrassed, but what could I do?

I then placed a call to my trustee: my Mother. I told her I had just registered for the show and that I was just going to try out this last time and if I didn’t get in, I would quit. Of course she tried to dissuade me. Coming from a family such as mine, one would expect me to be a soft, gentle, and listening woman; but I grew up different. I grew up with my parents reassuring us that we would be great and that we could do what we wanted no matter where we found ourselves. My father was indifferent as matters such as this concerned my mother and only her.

Minutes after I had registered, I got a mail inviting me to the regional screening in my choice screening zone: Abuja. I jumped for joy. And then I asked myself why? Wasn’t I expecting this mail? Indeed I was but I was excited nonetheless. I checked the date, it was 2 weeks away… I had to get ready, I had to leave work, I had to be in the show.

How was I going to get out of work?

Till next week before we find out……

Ojiegbe Promise---- GUS8 champion batch A.

No comments:

Post a Comment