Tuesday, March 9, 2010

DIPP: THE FUTURE IS NOW


Dipo ogundele a.k.a Dipp has been out of the music scene after the hit single ‘DANGEROUS’ featuring M.I and now he is back with his upcoming album ‘THE FUTURE IS NOW’ , he tells us what he has been up to and also tells us about what to expect from the new album. KAYINSOLA DOHERTY WRITES…

Please tell us about your background?

My name is Dipo Ogundele Originally, as you can tell I am from the south-west of Nigeria (Yoruba by tribe).

I grew up with 5 brothers and had no sisters! (Sounds sad right?)

Dad is an engineer and Mum a senior nurse.

I studied Building in the Northern part of Nigeria. I’m a graduate of Ahmadu Bello University, and I’m done with service!

Worked a little here and there!

Fell in love with Music as a kid (and all it brought) when I first laid eyes on Mj’s Thriller movie and since then, it’s been HISTORY!!

How were you able to pick your career?

I had always been mimicking Mj, Ginuwine ever since, but never professionally. Education was very important to me so I had to be done with school before moving on to the next one! {Laughs}

Nonetheless, I performed all around campuses when I could. Did a few gigs!

Shortly after, I officially/professionally picked up my musical career about 2005/2006 like a year and half before Dangerous video was released.

Can’t speak for anyone, but for me it was extremely difficult.

Firstly, making the decision to do music amidst other possibilities out there, and also coming to terms with the dynamics the industry brings.

Investors and sponsors were like myths, empty promises and disappointments were the only thing that was consistent.

But for some reason my friends and I just kept going.

Firstly, by identifying what was our strength (performance, dance etc) and then exposing them over our weaknesses hence the video.


After your Hit 'Dangerous' you just disappeared, why?

It was important for me to go back and re-evaluate myself and what I wanted to stand/represent in the hearts and minds of my fans and ultimately my peers in the industry. Also to monitor my peers in the market and finally to prepare myself and work hard!


You have been said to be an Usher wanna-be due to your relative attitude, do you think so?

It’s only normal to be likened to usher because we have the same mentor, and he was out there way before I was.

I respect Usher a lot but we are not alike in many ways.

This album would definitely prove it! Thus one of the reasons I went back to re-define myself.

We hear you are about to drop an album, what should we expect from it?

Difference! Change!! Reflection!!!

For me this project doesn’t end in the strings, chords and kicks of music. Not just audio but it goes all the way to the stage, videos, magazines, online, etc! It extends beyond to visual interpretations! It’s simply Holistic! Hence I find it a bit difficult to view it as just an album. You be the judge! I just know that I can’t let my fans down! They’re all I care about!

Who are the artistes you worked with on it?

Dagrin, So sick, M.I., Lala, Waje, Isolate, etc several.

What do you think makes your album different from anything we have heard before?

It hasn’t been done or heard before!

What do you think about the Nigerian Music Industry today?

There has been a dramatic step-change in the way we make music. I keep getting blown away by the remarkable work we as Nigerians keep coming up with. Considering the constraints we face everyday!

However, we can do much more! We are just starting. The future is now!!!


The Future Is Now Right?

Most definitely! What are we waiting for?

Let’s make history! Efyzzie! Life without Limits!!

No comments:

Post a Comment