Monday, March 8, 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR!



BY OLADIMEJI OJO

I know it’s not the first publication this year, still, it’s the first time I’m writing this year. The first time I’m putting pen to paper, or is it fingers to keyboard, in a while. It’s been some time since I’ve been able to summon my creative faculties long enough to put out an entire article. I apologise for the long absence. Well, here we are, 2010. School is in and from the first step you have to smile and respond to the numerous “Happy New Year’s” that come your way. By way of extension some ask what your resolution for the year is.

My resolution? I don’t have any. I might be wrong but I believe that to change anything in your life you require simply determination not the change of date on a calendar. That is why, in my honest opinion a large percentage of resolutions do not live past the first few months. My personal convictions notwithstanding, I will admit that making resolutions does indeed create the sense of stability, of focus. You would agree that the stability of which I speak is more than necessary in Nigeria. So if the Big Brother of Africa was a person, what would her resolutions for 2010 be?

The highlights of the year 2009 were, of course, the four month long AASU strike aimed at settling decades of conflict between the Federal Government and the Body of academics in one fell swoop. There was the Amnesty agreement between the Federal Government and the militants of the Niger Delta. The upheaval of the Banking sector by the serving CBN Governor. The continued absence of our ailing President. The incessant fuel strikes, still present in the New Year as is the President’s absence. And last but very definitely not least the barrage of failed promises by the Government of the day, particularly the promised solution to the Nation’s erratic power supply. There was of course the Dec 25 failed attack by a Nigerian.

Barely weeks into the New Year and we still suffer from the scarcity that marked the end of 2009. Nigerians still wait for the return of the President or at least the delegation of authority to the Vice President. There are currently three legal actions demanding, in various forms of legal terminology, the same. We have also been adjudged a terrorist country in response to the Dec 25 incident. I am waiting for the end of the saga before I put pen to paper/ fingers to keyboard on the matter. This, amidst dire warnings for the nation by various men of God. We have again been given a deadline for the accomplishment of the promised 6000MW. Nigerians, at least the ones I know, have chosen to take the assertion with a pinch of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment