Monday, March 29, 2010

WHY QUEUE



Introducing YQ, the ‘efimile’ crooner who is set to release a debut album soon. In this interview, he tells us the story of his rise to fame, his expectations and hopes for the future. Kanyinsola Doherty writes...

Tell us about yourself.
My name Yakub Jubril, I am from Dekina LGA, Kogi state. I was born in Ibadan, Oyo state and I am the second child from a family of seven kids; six boys and a girl. I grew up in Lagos.

How did you come about the name 'YQ'?
Well, I joined a group twice and after a lot of disappointments I thought to myself 'why queue'? Now here I am today; don't wait for man, only God can work it out.

Could you tell us about your label and the people you are affiliated with?
2koncept and storm 360. I started with 2koncept and we had a deal with storm records and now I am signed in a joint venture and I am also a CERIOUS music (Naeto c) affiliate.

Which artistes have you worked with or currently working with?
Naeto c, Rugged Man, Sasha, M.I, Kel, Mode9, Lord of Ajasa, 2shotz and a lot of other good artistes.

How would you describe your genre of music?
It’s R 'n' B with some reggae blend and contemporary feel good music because I can jump on any beat.

Should we expect an album soon?
Yes, it drops in May.

Any Name for it yet?
Not yet but in my own mind 'I am I' because the album will tell more about me.

What do you think about the music industry today?
It has really improved. endorsements, big corporate shows, talent shows and real talents are being recognised with the emergence of new radio and TV programmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment