Tuesday, September 18, 2012

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE; Who's your money on?

Written by Tokunbo Aladejare


I won't lie, the champions league anthem before games gets me pumped up, even if I'm seeing the game as a neutral, so its with anxiety and great anticipation that I look forward to the commencement of hostilities on 18 september 2012. I'm certain that every football loving person across the globe is also very excited like me. Who do you think will be lifting that trophy at Wembley in May 2013

TRADITIONAL CONTENDERS
I know what comes to mind now, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Chelsea FCManchester United. These are teams that are perceived to have what it takes to win the trophy, for obvious reasons, but I have a reason to believe Manchester United and Chelsea are outsiders in this category. Yes, Chelsea are champions, but one needs to look back at the way they won the trophy in May, to see that their victory was probably ordained by God. For me, I don't think they will be able to defend the trophy successfully. Manchester United on the other hand, is Manchester United. They struggled in Europe last season, and the jury is out on them and Chelsea FC for this one. Let's see how they do. 
As for Barcelona, well they have Lionel Messi and are "the best team in the world", so you'd expect them to get to the latter stages. Real Madrid haven't started the season quite well, but then the Champions League is a different competition and I'll expect them to go all guns blazing. 

OUTSIDERS
One thing I've come to love about this competition is the possibility of an upset, and teams that are capable of pulling off an upset are in this category. Here, you'd find Manchester City yes, Manchester City, Arsenal, Juventus. Manchester City would have been one of my favourites to win this year, but I don't believe Mancini can lead his team to victory, besides their lack of pedigree has already seen them in the "Group of Death", meaning they have a tough start to this year's competition. As for Arsenal, they've started the season well, by their recent standards and although its certain they'll make the knockout stages, it'll be a miracle if they make it to the semis, but there's quiet optimism among the gooner faithful that this could be their year. 

That's it folks, I'm going to be glued to my tv set wherever I may be, at whatever time during the season, and I'll be cheering my team(won't let you know which team though), and I know you all will be doing the same. But then, Who's your money on?
 Comments? 

No comments:

Post a Comment